Veteran Nigerian actor, Pete Edochie has reiterated his stance against men getting down on their knees to ask women to marry them.
In a video circulated on social media on Thursday, the 72-year-old actor said: “Any young man who gets on his knees to propose to a girl, is not just an idiot, he’s a bloody fool, a compound buffoon”.
The revered actor said in the video that the act is a replication of foreign culture that translates to the woman taking over the family.
“We are trying to copy white people, right? I believe in the sacrosanctity of our culture, the essence and the core of our culture,” he said.
“The white man kneels down to propose to a girl, you know what it means? The girl takes over the family. This is why whenever you disagree with your wife overseas, you are kicked out and the wife takes the house. As a young man, you should be in charge of your destiny. Kneeling down for a woman makes you a fool”.
Watch the video below;
The Nollywood actor added that he does not believe the practice signifies love or civilisation.
“I have lived with my wife for 51 years, nobody has come to say ‘please stop beating this woman’. Is it hatred that united us?” he asked his interviewer.
The actor joked that men who go on their knees to propose, risk being kicked out of the house by their wives.
“Kneel down before your wife and I’ll sympathise with you when she takes over the home,” he said.
This is not the first time the actor has courted controversy over marriage and relationships.
In January 2020 he said: “A marriage is recognised when a woman offers her future husband wine on her knees, signifying his authority. Therefore, the wife should kneel before her husband and not the other way round.”
Edochie is married to his childhood sweetheart, Josephine and they are blessed with six children. They have been married for more than 51 years.
More Ghana News Headlines
- VW starts production In April; Toyota in 4th quarter 2020 – Prez Akufo-Addo
- Alex Mould raises concern over Tullow job cuts; Urges Petroleum Commission to probe further
- 2020 Comeback year for GSE – Ekow Afedzie
- VIDEO: Any man who kneels to propose is a fool – Pete Edochie
- First Lady supports street children
- GAF employee discharged over ‘coup plot’, another charged
- Don’t take pride in early childbirth; teenagers advised
- UNICEF urges political heads to commit to open defecation-free targets
- Agona Swedru SSNIT Pensioners construct office complex
- Don’t carry offensive weapons to campaign grounds – NCCE Director
- GRA pilots new clearing system at Takoradi Port
- Ghana in good health, competent hands – President Akufo-Addo
- Lulu-Briggs: Supreme Court dismisses widow’s application, upholds high court orders
- Message on the 2020 State of the Nation by President Akufo-Addo [FULL ADDRESS)
- FIFA Ranking: Black Stars move to 46th place
- My son is not involved in mining – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- VIDEO: ‘Don’t marry two wives if you don’t have money’ – McDan
- All depositors, including DKM, to be paid in full – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo files nomination and names Bawumia as running mate
- Huawei launches new ‘nova 5T’ smartphone in Ghana
- Akufo-Addo urges patronage of EC’s move for new voters’ register
- We have overcome the ‘dumsor’ menace but… – Akufo-Addo
- We will build more public toilets to increase open defecation free communities – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo touts successes chalked in galamsey fight
- Receiver to begin payments to customers of defunct Savings and Loans, microfinance institutions on Monday – Akufo-Addo